TNC has been monitoring the pandemic situation. The health and safety of this community is our top priority. In response to the growing number of COVID-19 cases in New Jersey and in accordance with the governor’s notice, our building, restrooms, and picnic areas are closed, and programs and events suspended. Groups should contact the associated program coordinator for how this affects scheduled school, library, scout, birthday, camp, and public programs.
We are adopting the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations for the containment of infectious diseases, including:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Take everyday preventive actions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If tissue is not available use your elbow.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated.
Unless otherwise required by law, Tenafly Nature Center trails will remain open daily from dawn until dusk.
TNC has instated a 1-way policy for our Yellow, White, Red and Main trail.
Due to an increase in visitors we are seeing signs of degradation on the sides of our trails and the habitats directly off the trail. This policy change helps eliminate the need to walk off trail by eliminating large groups moving in opposing directions.
All other trails not listed above will not be subject to the policy change-yet.
Visitors who do not adhere to the new policy or rules will be asked to leave.
IF VISITORS DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES AND MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING WE WILL BE FORCED TO CLOSE THE TRAILS.
KEEP US OPEN, STAY ON TRAIL
Regular Trail Rules & Information
Please respect the wildlife and their homes. Take only pictures...and leave nothing.
Tenafly Nature Center is governed by a lease agreement with the Borough of Tenafly. This agreement contains rules and regulations concerning the use of the property by visitors to the preserve. As a guest in a nature preserve, we ask that you respect these rules to keep TNC a safe, clean, natural, and pleasant place to visit. Please ensure any other people in your group or family, including children, understand them as well.
- Trails are open to the public daily, one hour after sunrise until one hour prior to sunset.
- Please be respectful and keep loud voices and noises to a minimum.
- Leave No Trace — Carry-In, Carry-Out - Take all trash with you.
||No pets leashed, carried, or otherwise.
||Do not release any animals.
||Stay on trails at all times and stay out of streams and ponds (to minimize disturbance to plants & wildlife).
||No fires (without staff oversight).
Smoking and/or the carrying of a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe or other combustible substance, in any manner or any form, including vapor from an electronic smoking device, is prohibited at all times in all areas of the park.
No bicycles, strollers (or any vehicles) beyond the parking area.
Trails are for foot traffic only.
No littering please.
Do not disturb, collect or remove ANYTHING including wildlife, plant matter (flowers, leaves, acorns, sticks), mushrooms, soil or rocks.
Do not feed, bait, or provide access to food to any wild animal or waterfowl. Please see our Q&A on feeding wildlife for more information.
No camping, hunting, trapping, or fishing in all areas of the preserve.
Picnicking is permitted only at the picnic tables near and around the pavilion. (Not at this time)
||Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited, except for events held at Education Center with the permission of the Nature Center board.
|Personal photography is welcomed, but professional photography and filming may require a permit (view the policy for professional photograph and filming).|
Any rule violations brought to our attention would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and enjoy your visit!
Starting May 2, 2020 TNC has instituted a nominal admission fee:
This admission is in effect between the hours 9:00 am -5:00 pm daily until further notice.
- Members: Free
- Non-members: $2/person or $6/family
- Should I wear a mask when visiting TNC?
We strongly suggest having a mask so that you have your recommended PPE on hand at all times. At this time we do not require visitors to wear a mask but require that visitors keep a 6 foot distance from other visitors. Please refer to this article by Hackensack Meridian Health as to their recommendations.
TNC Trail Map- Print / View
Additional Trail Rules & Information
TNC trails have additional rules currently in place:
- Stay home if you are feeling sick
- Do not meet as a group (including large families)
- Stay on the trail & follow the signs
- Trails are for passive recreation only
- No picnics or sports
- Restrooms are not available
- Follow CDC social distancing guidelines and maintain a 6 foot distance when you pass others along the trails
- Keep 6 feet apart from other visitors at all times (including when passing along trails)
Benches and rest areas are not meant for extended use at this time. Visitors should maintain a steady pace while walking and if a brief break is needed other visitors should be enabled to safely continue their course with a 6 foot distance.