Your home schooled child can join our professional Environmental Educators as we introduce them to ecological and biological principles, facilitating an appreciation and understanding of the natural world. Your child will become familiar with plants and animals throughout New Jersey and discover how human activities affect the environment.
We have three program options available to home school parents:
- Home Ecologists: Individual families with children 5-12 years old may register for Tenafly Nature Center's Home Ecologists group. Parents can sign up for the series or just a single session. If older students would like to attend these classes please contact the Education Director and accommodations can be made to create a more advanced class.
- Home School Group: A home school group can schedule a private class with a topic of their choice.
- Parent Workshops: Tenafly Nature Center, a registered New Jersey Professional Development Provider, offers many workshops designed to train educators of all grades in a curriculum of wildlife appreciation and fun, hands-on activities. The activities assist students of any age in developing awareness, knowledge, skills, and commitment, leading to informed decisions, responsible behavior and constructive actions concerning wildlife and the environment upon which life depends. These programs are conducted in cooperation with the National Project WILD and Project Learning Tree offices and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Please visit our Professional Development page for upcoming opportunities.
Each two-hour program will consist of indoor and outdoor hands-on learning and close observations in our 380-acre living museum. Depending on the topic, students may observe live animals, collect aquatic creatures, take measurements of water quality, or play games illustrating cycles and relationships among living things. Parents can also take home activities and suggestions for further study from many of our classes.
- For families with children 5-12 years old.
- Parents may sign up for the series or just a single session.
- Parents may stay with the group or drop off; there is no charge for parents.
- Siblings older or younger, may not attend without prior permission from the education director.