Your home schooled child can join our professional Environmental Educators as we introduce them to ecological and biological principles, facilitating an appreciation and understanding of the natural world. Your child will become familiar with plants and animals throughout New Jersey and discover how human activities affect the environment.
We have three program options available to home school parents:
- Home Ecologists: Individual families with children 5-12 years old may register for Tenafly Nature Center's Home Ecologists group. Parents can sign up for the series or just a single session. If older students would like to attend these classes please contact the Education Director and accommodations can be made to create a more advanced class.
- Home School Group: A home school group can schedule a private class with a topic of their choice.
- Parent Workshops: Tenafly Nature Center, a registered New Jersey Professional Development Provider, offers many workshops designed to train educators of all grades in a curriculum of wildlife appreciation and fun, hands-on activities. The activities assist students of any age in developing awareness, knowledge, skills, and commitment, leading to informed decisions, responsible behavior and constructive actions concerning wildlife and the environment upon which life depends. These programs are conducted in cooperation with the National Project WILD and Project Learning Tree offices and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Please visit our Professional Development page for upcoming opportunities.
Each two-hour program will consist of indoor and outdoor hands-on learning and close observations in our 380-acre living museum. Depending on the topic, students may observe live animals, collect aquatic creatures, take measurements of water quality, or play games illustrating cycles and relationships among living things. Parents can also take home activities and suggestions for further study from many of our classes.
- For families with children 5-12 years old.
- Parents may sign up for the series or just a single session.
- Parents may stay with the group or drop off; there is no charge for parents.
- Siblings older or younger, may not attend without prior permission from the education director.
Monday, December 16, 2013 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, January 06, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, January 20, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, February 03, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, February 10, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, March 03, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, March 17, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, April 07, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, April 21, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, May 05, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, May 19, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, June 02, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Monday, June 16, 2014 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Home School Group
- A non-refundable deposit for a program covers 10 children. Groups of fewer than 10 are welcome, but the deposit charge is required to secure a time slot.
- Programs require one parent per home school group.
- Additional parents are welcome to stay or drop-off; parents are always free.
|Home School Group
|Maximum of 15 children
(up to 25 people with parents)
$12 per additional child
2. Review and sign the confirmation form sent by the Education Director.
3. Mail the signed confirmation form with payment to the attention of the Education Director.
- Your name
- The mailing address
- Phone number
- Age of children
- Number of children in the group
- Name of the program (To view program topics click here)
- Requested date (for faster scheduling have several date options)
- Requested time for program's (for faster scheduling have several time options)
- In order to obtain adequate number of staff, advance notice of additional parents and younger siblings is required. We reserve the right to limit the number of non-registered participants to the number originally registered on the confirmation form.
- Siblings may not attend without prior permission from the Education Director. If siblings would like to participate in the class, a fee of $12.00 per child will be applied.
- Participants should be prepared to be outside for the majority of the class. An Environmental Educator will lead the group through the program; attending adults are expected to stay and assist the group when necessary to provide an enjoyable experience for all involved.
- A non-refundable deposit is required for all programs.
- Programs scheduled with less than two weeks notice will require pre-payment three days prior to the program.
- Payment can be made by your group representative by check, cash, or money order (credit cards not accepted).
- It is the duty of the group representative to collect the fee from the participants. TNC will not accept individual payments from the participants.
Reschedule, Cancel & Refund Information
- TNC programs are taught mostly outdoors and are held drizzle or shine. However, in the event of heavy rain or dangerous temperatures, an alternate indoor program may be substituted.
- If your group must reschedule, a $50 rescheduling fee will be applied.
- If your group must cancel, refunds are based on how far in advance cancellation is from schedule date.
- More than 30 days’ notice - 100% returned
- 11 to 30 days’ notice - 50% returned
- Less than 11 days’ notice - No refund
Saturday, December 14, 2013 2:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center
Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:30 PM • TNC Pavilion
Monday, December 16, 2013 1:00 PM • TNC Visitor Center