Environmental Educator I (part-time as needed)
Tenafly Nature Center is an independent non-profit member-supported 400 acre nature preserve, located in Tenafly, NJ, five miles north of the George Washington Bridge. With over seven miles of trails and a 3-acre pond, TNC is the largest privately-run nature center in Bergen County. Educators (report to the Education Director) are responsible for teaching our increasing demand of programs both on and off site throughout the year. Curriculum is hands-on and geared toward helping children and adults to develop awareness, appreciation and stewardship for the natural world.
- Teach programs, on and off site, for groups of Pre K-12th grade children, scouts, birthday parties, families and adults including special needs individuals and groups, following best practices. This includes all aspects of programming, including set up, clean up, evaluation, and follow up.
- Learn our environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objectives of each program.
- Help to develop new programs and prepare and maintain program curriculum materials.
- Create a safe, fun, learning atmosphere for children while projecting a knowledgeable & confident image to parents and teachers.
- Work with other staff and supervise volunteers.
- Assist with care of captive live animals.
- Articulate organization mission and project a helpful and positive attitude when interacting with the public, including TNC members, teachers, and group leaders in person & on the phone.
- Work with nature center’s online database to maintain records and administer registrations.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural science, environmental education, or related field. At least 2 years experience in environmental education, outdoor education or early childhood education.
- Knowledge of and passion for the natural world.
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, patient, and flexible when working with children and adults.
- Willingness to work outdoors in variable weather conditions and variable terrain.
- Comfortable handling or learning to handle reptiles, invertebrates and birds of prey (training provided).
- Ability to work both independently and on a team with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well on the phone and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to walk all the major trails of TNC and climb one flight of stairs. Ability to lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office and common office equipment. E-mail and internet access required.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
- Criminal History background checks will be required.
- Currently be eligible to work in the USA.
- Valid Driver's license and personal transportation.
- Current first aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain certification.
Environmental Educator I: Position starts November 1. Hours vary depending upon seasonal demand for programs. Compensation: $10-$15 an hour depending on experience. Availability needed between the hours of 9 am – 9 pm on Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays; additional hours including full time summer position available.
Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references by October 15, 2016 to Debora Davidson, Education Director. No calls please.
Public Relations Internship
The Tenafly Nature Center is seeking college student interns who are in their junior or senior year and studying Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related fields. Interns will be responsible for interacting with all TNC staff, trustees, members, volunteers and the general public. He or she will support an active office and extensive education curriculum by researching and drafting press releases, talking points, newsletter profiles, Facebook status updates and other PR-related copy; proofing and editing copy; and performing other PR-related assignments. Interns will work closely with the Communications Assistant while learning valuable skills needed in the public relations workforce. Excellent writing and public speaking skills are a plus.