Environmental Educator II (part-time 20+ hours a week)
Environmental Educator I (part-time as needed)
Tenafly Nature Center is an independent non-profit member-supported 400 acre nature preserve, located in Tenafly, NJ, five miles north of the George Washington Bridge. With over seven miles of trails and a 3-acre pond, TNC is the largest privately-run nature center in Bergen County. Educators (report to the Education Director) are responsible for teaching our increasing demand of programs both on and off site throughout the year. Curriculum is hands-on and geared toward helping children and adults to develop awareness, appreciation and stewardship for the natural world.
- Teach programs, on and off site, for groups of Pre K-12th grade children, scouts, birthday parties, families and adults including special needs individuals and groups, following best practices. This includes all aspects of programming, including set up, clean up, evaluation, and follow up.
- Learn our environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objectives of each program.
- Help to develop new programs and prepare and maintain program curriculum materials.
- Assume responsibility over one facet of Education Department operations. (EE II only)
- Create a safe, fun, learning atmosphere for children while projecting a knowledgeable & confident image to parents and teachers.
- Work with other staff and supervise volunteers.
- Assist with care of captive live animals.
- Articulate organization mission and project a helpful and positive attitude when interacting with the public, including TNC members, teachers, and group leaders in person & on the phone. (EE II includes some administrative support.)
- Work with nature center’s online database to maintain records and administer registrations.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural science, environmental education, or related field. At least 2 years experience in environmental education, outdoor education or early childhood education.
- Knowledge of and passion for the natural world.
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, patient, and flexible when working with children and adults.
- Willingness to work outdoors in variable weather conditions and variable terrain.
- Comfortable handling or learning to handle reptiles, invertebrates and birds of prey (training provided).
- Ability to work both independently and on a team with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well on the phone and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to walk all the major trails of TNC and climb one flight of stairs. Ability to lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office and common office equipment. E-mail and internet access required.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.
- Criminal History background checks will be required.
- Currently be eligible to work in the USA.
- Valid Driver's license and personal transportation.
- Current first aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain certification.
Environmental Educator II: Position starts August 4. Guaranteed 20 hours per week, additional hours based on seasonal demand for programs. Compensation: $10-$15 an hour depending on experience. Mandatory availability between the hours of 9 am – 9 pm on Sundays or Saturdays, 1-2 weekdays, and 2 weekend evenings a month; additional full time summer position available.
Environmental Educator I: Position starts August 4. Hours vary depending upon seasonal demand for programs. Compensation: $10-$15 an hour depending on experience. Mandatory availability between the hours of 9 am – 9 pm on weekdays and minimum of 2 weekend days & evenings a month; additional full time summer position available.
Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references by July 21, 2014 to Debora Davidson, Education Director. No calls please.
Saturday, June 21, 2014 • TNC Trails
Friday, July 25, 2014 7:00 PM • TNC Campfire Ring
Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:00 PM • Tenafly Nature Center